As the new school year starts, it is important that I eat healthily and sometimes I find that as a young professional time to prepare meals is limited. I recently saw an ad for Freshly.com which has fresh prepared meals that range in the 500 calorie per serving range (perfect for my dinner needs). So, I paid for a subscription and have received about 3 weeks of the service at this point. I was not provided meals by the company in exchange for a review.
- Fresh meals delivered weekly in a well packaged temperature controlled box.
- Varied meal selection, customized by the user on the site
- Meals that are filling and things I actually like to eat
- Simple clean up
- Delay in set up time as the chef needs time to prepare the meals the first week
- The veggies shown on the site are at times varied from their realistic arrival
- Meals are prepared in such a way that you can't vary in the sides you receive. So, if you love pork, but hate kale, too bad. It's a package deal.
- The service equals about $10/meal. Not quite as costly as eating out, but not as cheap as making food at home.
This has been an effective process for me to watch what I am eating, challenging me to try things which I would not usually eat (see kale above), and save some dough from always forking out for a meal out. There are usually 6 meals delivered a week, allowing me options for at least one night out with friends. You can pause the service for weeks at a time if you end up on vacation or have an excess of meals one week or the next.
If you are interested in trying the service, you can save $20 off of your first delivery by using the following referral link:
If you do, let us know your experience in the comments below!